Friday, May 1, 2009

New School

It all happened so fast. Didn't even feel the asphalt. I sat up - my eyes felt like pinwheels. I remotely felt another blow ricochet hard off my left ear as I lost all hearing in it and buckled back down to the street.

In my right ear, which was dug into the pavement, I heard someone say, "Let's get the fuck out of here". Then a couple dozen sets of sneakers beat away into the distance. Slowly, I began to regain sight. The world was sitting sideways now and the mid-afternoon concrete was gradually cooking my right ear. It was now almost as hot as the left.

I groaned. Should have brought that starter pistol to school today. Suddenly, a car horn blared out really, really loud about eight feet behind me. It scared the shit out of me, almost literally. I had already wet my pants.

The sound of the idling engine was coming back to me quick and I heard a gruff voice from inside the car holler, "Hey! Get the fuck outta the road, kid!". It sounded like a cigar was yelling at me. I groaned again, coughed up some crap, gathered myself up and crawled out of the way.

As the car slowly passed by me, I caved in and fell back down into the gutter between two parked cars. I fell asleep a few times and no one offered to help me.

It was going to be a long week.

No comments:

Post a Comment